Friday, December 5, 2008

The worst day of his and my life thus far... November 19, 2008


Thank you everyone for your prayers yesterday. I can't even begin to tell you how scary it is when your sitting in a lobby alone waiting 2 hours for the surgeon to come out and say "ok everything went well" all the while your mind is trying to make you think negative horrible things. There was no way I was leaving my son for the first night, which is the most critical time after a surgery. He asked me to stay and wouldn't let me leave his bedside.

Yesterday nathan had 2 procedures done. A broncoscopy and a VATS (video assisted thoroscopy surgery). They cleared out the pleural space which was invaded with mucousy bacteria. I have pictures. the inside of his lungs were clear so he has pneumonia on the outside of the lung. I stayed the night with him in the PICU which was straight out heall. No sleep at all. He is however a bit better.

We are waiting for his chest xray to see if there is some change from yesterdays xray that was taken right after the surgery. The dr should be here shortly. He does have a chest tube hanging out of the side of his body that is draining any more bacteria or secretions that may think they are going to reside in him again!
Here is a website for your education.
http://www.cts.usc.edu/videoassistedthoracoscopicsurgery.html

No comments: