Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 24, 2008





























Today the nurse came for the 2nd time. I took pictures of nathan accessing the nurses vein peripherally. See the blood in the white part of the butterfly needle, that means you hit the spot! He actually got it and it slipped a bit, so the nurse showed him how to maneuver the needle around gently to get that vein that is running for its life. This will teach him how to access himself in the near future. Before these shots I got his vein, I have now accessed him 3 times. This is working! Go Nathan!


P.S. some people may ask, well why didn't you guys do this from the start. A child usually doesn't like to be stuck with a needle in the

in vein 3 times a week, and sometimes you don't get lucky on the first try. With the port it was a sure hit and the scar tissue that formed around the port from poking helped cushion the stick. I am really proud of Nathan for being a trooper and accepting this huge change and responsiblity that comes with it. He was so adamant about having his port just a couple of months ago! He really has come a long way!

2 comments:

ajourn said...

WAY TO GO, NATHAN!!!! I am impressed with your abilities and success. I am a certified IV nurse and have many times taught IV access. You like like a "good stick to me." Kepp up the good work. GREAT JOB!!!!!

~Sophia & Noah's Mommy~ said...

I am so glad its all over! love you binxy bear! xoxo